19 Nov 2015

Fasting in Phnom Penh (Part III)


.... this is the continuation of my previous posting on Phnom Penh.

8. The check-in process took less than 10 minutes and before you knew it, we were already settled in out room. I had the time for a power nap. Just a tad close to 8 minutes of closing my eyes to regain energy. Yup, you need to take power nap to re-charge especially important when travelling. Well, you can have it while in the taxi, tuk-tuk or whatever.

9. Since it’s Ramadhan, and the Iftar in Phnom Penh was quite early at about 6.30 pm. Hurriedly, I dashed downstairs (oh, I stayed at the 7th floor with town view and pagoda right in front of my window).

10. Our host for the night took us to the Indian Delight. An indian muslim restaurant at the famous Ton-le Sap river. I didn’t say much and with huge expectation of a sumptuous indian with a twist of Cambodian touch. So I ordered a mutton biryani and mango lassi. It was delicious. Maybe because I was hungry. Maybe because it’s the first meal in Phnom Penh. Maybe because the ambience of the restaurant. I don’t know but it was satisfactory for Iftar. The dinner cost me USD6.

WARNING: PLEASE DON’T CONVERT.

I don’t really mind cos my mind psychologically said that it’s RM6. Well, that help with the burning guilt feeling of the need to convert on everything. I don’t quite believe that you need to convert to RM when you travel cos you’ll end up not buying anything. Worst, you’ll die of starvation too. ***and oh, since this is the first night in Phnom Penh, I figured it’s ok to splurge myself. Well, why not kan?

11. One more thing, whenever travel, I will make it a point not to eat at the same place. It’s more adventurous that why and you’ll get to taste new thing. Well, it’s more of a trial and error. Sometimes it suck, sometimes it expensive, and sometimes it’s both suck and expensive. Well, at least we learn something and not to repeat it again.

12. For Iftar on the second day, I went to Asmak Restaurant – this is upon recommendation of the locals here and of course from online reading. Many praised for its delicious, affordable, halal and authentic Khmer food.

13. Asmak is located in the middle of the city and tuck in among shops very near to a shopping complex (forgot the name). Just ask your tuk-tuk driver and they know where to take you. The ride from my place cost me USD2. PLEASE BARGAIN. Don’t just agree to whatever fare they charge you.

14. The food at Asmak was good. Feeling adventurous, I ordered for local dish; KHMER SOUP WITH DUCK BREAST. For drink it’s soda with lemon to quench my thirst after one full day at work, meeting, presentations and of course, fasting. The meal cost me USD4 and the drink is USD1. Ok la, still under USD10.

15. My host also informed that he could take me to the nearest mosque in town to experience how the Muslim here observed the Holy Ramadhan. I forgot the name of that place but definitely not Kampung Cham. I was told it's about 20 minutes drive from the city*.

*The plan did not materialise as I was caught up in networking meeting and it ended at 9 pm the following day. Well, I will surely make it a point to go there. I was told the freshwater fish there was delicious (not that I eat fish. Just saying).

4 comments: